Brent, there might be a terminology problem here.

Fresh water cooling: It is a closed system with antifreeze in it pumping
through the block and a heat exchanger.  Raw water (fresh or salt) pumps
through the heat exchanger too then is mixed with the exhaust and out of the
boat

Raw water cooling: It draws cooling water (fresh or salt) and pumps it through
the block then it is mixed with the exhaust and out of the boat.

By your description I think you have a raw water system.

Rick Taillieu

Shearwater Yacht Club

Halifax, NS.