I recently made ceiling panels out of FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic)
using a saber saw with a fine tooth blade. The blade will be ruined by the
time you're finished, but blades are cheap.  You can touch up the cut with
sandpaper.  There are router bits for laminate, but I think they're for
beveling the edge of the laminate,

Alan Bergen
35 Mk III Thirsty
Rose City YC
Portland. OR

On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 8:58 PM, Rick Brass via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> As background, I installed an opening port on Imzadi to replace a fixed
> aluminum framed portlight, and it didn’t go to my expectations. I had to
> expand the existing opening by a small margin, and decided that I could use
> my handy dandy Dremel tool to cut the fiberglass laminate. But the cut I
> got was far from smooth and straight. So I decided I’d put off installing
> the other three ports until I figured out a better way of doing it.
>

> I have three current projects that will require me to cut laminate:
> additional opening ports, removing the inner skin on the cockpit locker
> covers so I can replace rotted core, and making a propane locker. So my
> question is: What would be the best tool for getting smooth straight cuts
> in fiberglass laminate?
>

> A friend in the boat repair business will loan me his Rotozip, but I’m not
> confident that I would get better cuts that I did on the window opening
> (operator error, I freely admit).
>

> Dremel (among others) makes a mini circular saw that looks almost ideal
> for making shallow, straight cuts. But corners might be a problem.
>

> A vibrating multi-tool (I still think of it as a Fein tool) seems like a
> real possibility, plus having a lot of uses on other projects. But I’m not
> sure how well it will cut fiberglass.
>

> You guys are the experts. What tool should I buy (or borrow)?
>

> Rick Brass
>
> *Imzadi  *C&C 38 mk 2
>
> *la Belle Aurore *C&C 25 mk1
>
> Washington, NC

> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.
> paypal.me_stumurray&d=DwICAg&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN
> 0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=9w3G7Cf8YfQnrjmtuNxwDJYr3JMv9f
> 1pAfgAJ9xXYQQ&m=-FqPHQoenzWOM-wiezGuLlNYMkB_uD-gAlhoxsmYJ60&s=Ft8xUqiB_-
> GIF1XqVIPfJyYCK89bxAe_Uwxen3JgDKY&e=

Alan Bergen
35 Mk III Thirsty
Rose City YC