One of those multitools, jigsaw, portable circular saw for large sections,
and Dremmel circular wheel ones with blades.

On Apr 8, 2017 11:59 PM, "Rick Brass via CnC-List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
wrote:

As background, I installed an opening port on Imzadi to replace a fixed
aluminum framed portlight, and it didn’t go to my expectations. I had to
expand the existing opening by a small margin, and decided that I could use
my handy dandy Dremel tool to cut the fiberglass laminate. But the cut I
got was far from smooth and straight. So I decided I’d put off installing
the other three ports until I figured out a better way of doing it.

I have three current projects that will require me to cut laminate:
additional opening ports, removing the inner skin on the cockpit locker
covers so I can replace rotted core, and making a propane locker. So my
question is: What would be the best tool for getting smooth straight cuts
in fiberglass laminate?

A friend in the boat repair business will loan me his Rotozip, but I’m not
confident that I would get better cuts that I did on the window opening
(operator error, I freely admit).

Dremel (among others) makes a mini circular saw that looks almost ideal for
making shallow, straight cuts. But corners might be a problem.

A vibrating multi-tool (I still think of it as a Fein tool) seems like a
real possibility, plus having a lot of uses on other projects. But I’m not
sure how well it will cut fiberglass.

You guys are the experts. What tool should I buy (or borrow)?

Rick Brass

*Imzadi  *C&C 38 mk 2

*la Belle Aurore *C&C 25 mk1

Washington, NC

This list is supported by the generous donations of our members. If you
wish to make a contribution to offset our costs, please go to: