It's a good question josh,  and changing the bulb is my second choice.

 One reason is that a purpose built led fixture is typically more efficient.
You can orient the sources in the correct direction.  This is compromised in
traditional light sources (or led lamps which mimic same) where optics and
reflectors are required to re distribute the light and improve efficiency.
(Ok, I'm in the lighting biz....)
Another reason is that my existing lights' lenses are crazed and the wire is
crumbling  - so, im into minor project anyway.
Third, I want a sealed, hard wired fixture.  I don't know if the led bulb will
suffer from corrosion issues, but  it will be installed and ignored for much
longer than the standard festoon bulb.
Last reason is 'cuz I'm 53 years old, and I can.  :-). The work on the boat has
been done to a high standard, which is a pleasure in itself.

All that said, the retrofit lamp is choice 2.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone