ABYC is a little vague with the battery box requiments.  In summery it
describes keeping the batteries sufficiently mounted to prevent sliding
around.  It describes a cover to prevent inadvertent contact with the
terminals.  If you use a ratchet strap and insulated terminal covers then
you technically meet the requirements.

Commercially available plastic battery boxes provide a means of restraint
and insulation of the terminals.  Properly made and used, the battery boxes
also provide a means of catching acid if it were to leak out.  The lids are
designed to maintain a loop seal which prevents water from getting in the
box should a flooding situation submerge the box.  Sea water and batteries
is a bad combination which can, not just short out and destroy the battery,
but also generate chlorine gas.

I don't have commercial battery boxes in either of my battery
compartments.  The batteries are strapped down.  The compartments are
glassed in to provide leak resistance.  The compartments have wooden lids
which prevent inadvertent contact with the terminals.

I think you are ok removing the plastic boxes.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD