The battery box does provide the function of preventing terminal shorting,
but so do many battery compartments lids AND terminal boots.  I'm not
opposed to a belt and braces approach but when only one it needed there is
no reason to sacrifice space.

As for ratchet straps, if its for batteries inside the boat I say let the
cheap ones rust.  10 year from now I'll buy new cheap ones.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD