Charlie,

If you have room or if you relocate the Racor to where you have room,
consider replacing the filter's T-handle with the Racor vacuum gauge.  Not
only will you know exactly when to change filter elements but it will
provide you with another tool for troubleshooting a similar proplem in the
future.  You can close the fuel valve at the tank (assuming you have one),
turn on the ignition and observe the vacuum.  If you have good vacuum, you
have a tight system.  If not you can explore/test possible leak sites
without having to start the engine.

BTW, Touche's fuel pump is located on the back of engine a few feet from
the Racor.  Fuel pump location shouldn't be an issue in our fuel systems.
The line size and small volume of flow shouldn't result in significant
pressure drop on either the suction or discharge side of the pump.  I agree
the pump should be downstream of the primary filter.

Dennis C.