Hi Josh,
I was really curious when I read about the proper position of the shifter, and
found multiple references of the following advisory purportedly from Yanmar as
follows"
And for Yanmar/Kanzaki:

Advisory Number: MSA08-003:

DATE February 8, 2008 Dealers and OEMs
TO: All Marine Distributors
SUBJECT: Gear in Neutral While Sailing All MODELS:

All Sailboat Engines

We continue to get questions regarding the correct gear position while sailing
with the engine OFF. This advisory is issued as a reminder; Yanmar requires
that if sailing with the engine OFF (not running) the transmission shifter must
be in the neutral position or internal damage to the gear or sail-drive will
result. This damage will not be covered by Yanmar’s Limited Warranty. Please
instruct customers and dealers who deliver the sailboat to the customer, of the
correct (Neutral) position for the marine gear while sailing.

If the customer desires that the propeller shaft not spin while sailing, either
a folding propeller, shaft break, or other suitable device may be used.
However, Yanmar accepts no responsibility for the selection, installation, or
operation of such devices. Please also refer to Marine service advisory
“MSA07-001_Yanmar Sail Drive Propeller Selection” for additional information.

If you have any questions regarding this advisory please contact a Customer
Support representative."

The reason for failure mode, as was describe to me, is that in reverse the
clutch cones can chatter, quiver or vibrate against one another causing wear
which eventually leads to slippage and a gear box re-build. Many already know
how difficult a Kanzaki can be to get out of reverse after sailing with it
locked.

Here's a quote from the SBO forums:
Quote:
Originally Posted by glengreyUnfortunately I can attest to the proper Yanmar
gear position. In the summer of 2008 my transmission (Kansaki on a 3GM30F
engine) started slipping. Engine had 440 hours. always placed gear in reverse
when sailing. After considerable discussion with Yamnar they advised they would
not consider warranty (was passed the hours for that anyway). Upshot is new
transmission. They advised that the cone clutch does "quiver" (my term) even
though locked into reverse, producing wear and eventually slippage.
I don't like believing everything I read on the internet, but I kept coming
across this advisory.
Hope this helps,
Bruce Whitmore

(847) 404-5092 (mobile)