With a 25 HP do not go more than 75 amp.   Too much lost for that HP.

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From: DON JONSSON via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Date: 10/14/17 11:51 (GMT-05:00)
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: DON JONSSON <dbjons...@shaw.ca>
Subject: Stus-List New Engine, now what size alternator

Hi

I previously lamented engine problems on my 1982 C&C 34.  I had the original
Yanmar 3GMD.  The problem was leaking oil from the intake manifold caused by
serious blow back.  There is also a transmission problem, where it doesn't
always go into gear.

So the decision has been made to put a new engine in, and as someone mentioned
over capitalize the boat.  But we sail to the outside of Vancouver Island and
up north to where engine problems would be a super pain.  (Soon I will post
information about the engine and extra parts in case anyone is interested.  It
has an almost brand new exhaust riser on it built by Gartside.)

The old engine is out and we are now sound insulating the engine compartment.

The boat currently has an ice box but putting in refrigeration is high on the
list.  Getting ice rapidly becomes a challenge as you head off.  This would
imply more battery power and an alternator to keep it going.  We are looking at
a Beta 25 for which you can get a 75 or 120 amp alternator.  Because of limited
battery space I'm thinking of using AGM batteries which you can suck more amps
out of.

Has anyone got some words of wisdom and/or experience with this?  Including
what is the minimum amount of available amp hours you need?  The water is cold
up here and it usually doesn't get too hot.  It seems with AGM batteries you
need a fair bit more charging capability.

Although the refrigeration project is a little further off I don't want to but
too small of an alternator now.

Thanks
Don Jonsson
Victoria, B.C.

The bills have started coming in for the year 2018 and have gone up again.
October will be our fund raising month.  Please consider sending a small
contribution to help keep this list running.  Use PayPal to send contribution
--
https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.paypal.me%2Fstumurray&data=02%7C01%7Cdavidrisch75%40msn.com%7Cd1937f35a75044d1b66808d5131b5dae%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636435930610612309&sdata=cjrGCK3w%2BQE%2Bxeu8dX1xpxKxlA%2BHWmbB8BguOWoHd4Y%3D&reserved=0

All contributions are greatly appreciated!

The bills have started coming in for the year 2018 and have gone up again.
October will be our fund raising month.  Please consider sending a small
contribution to help keep this list running.  Use PayPal to send contribution
--   https://www.paypal.me/stumurray

All contributions are greatly appreciated!