I'm not sure how much space people are dealing with, but here's what I'm doing: my boat came with a clunky old (and bulletproof) stainless steel gimbaled stove/oven combination. Rather than try to get it working, I place one of those butane units on top of the stove, and voila -- we can make coffee or soup at sea (which is all we ever use it for).

I have an upgrade in the works. No one I know ever uses an oven, but owners of newer boats do use microwaves. I may use a microwave, too, but only at the dock. Force 10 makes (or at least made) a stainless steel gimbaled stove/oven combination unit, but instead of an oven it has a microwave shelf. (It comes without the microwave, so finding the right size microwave can be a bit of a pain.) Once I get it out of the basement and install it on the boat, it will provide the stove burners that I want using the old propane system (much of which is also being replaced), and I'll be able to microwave something quickly while at the dock.

That's my evil plan.  We'll see how it works out.

-----Original Message----- From: Steve Thomas via CnC-List
Sent: Saturday, October 28, 2017 12:24 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Steve Thomas
Subject: Re: Stus-List Stove

I wish that those Forespar gimbaled stoves were still available. I am in the process now of converting an older version to accept modern propane cylinders. I spent several months on a boat that had one and we used it all the time, mainly for boiling water and making coffee. A good mounting spot is to a 1 by 6 board bolted to the 1/2 bulkhead that forms one side of the galley on most boats.

Steve Thomas
C&C27 MKIII

---- Chuck Gilchrest via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
Forespar makes a nifty gimbled stove for small boats. I like the idea of a gimble system since boats tend to move around beneath the stove, and hot fluids splashing all over the cabin are usually a bit messy and dangerous. This one uses the same propane cannisters as a Magna Grill or Lehr Propane outboard motor and can be purchased at any grocery or hardware store.

<https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=14122> https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=14122

I used to use a wind proof butane Optimus backpacking stove when I had my C&C 25 and it worked well, but the compressed gas cannisters are no longer available.

Chuck Gilchrest

S/V Half Magic

1983 Landfall 35

Padanaram, MA

The bills have started coming in for the year 2018 and have gone up again. October will be our fund raising month. Please consider sending a small contribution to help keep this list running. Use PayPal to send contribution -- https://www.paypal.me/stumurray

All contributions are greatly appreciated!