Doubts are piling in.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-navy-ship-rescue-japan-20171030-story.html

<http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-navy-ship-rescue-japan-20171030-story.html>

"Had they not been able to locate us, we would have been dead within 24 hours."

In a briefing with the Coast Guard, Appel said she that did have the emergency
beacon on board and that it was properly registered.
"We asked why during this course of time they did not activate the EPIRB," Tara
Molle, Coast Guard spokeswoman Petty Office 2nd Class, told the AP. "She had
stated they never felt like they were truly in distress, like in a 24-hour
period they were going to die.”

β€œOn their first day at sea, Appel said, a violent storm hit with waves as high
as 50 feet.”
Appel and Fuiava also said they faced a tropical storm on their first night at
sea on May 3. Records kept by the National Weather Service show no signs of
such a storm around that time, according to the AP. The findings were confirmed
by archived NASA satellite images.

-
Paul E.
1981 C&C 38 Landfall
S/V Johanna Rose
Fort Walton Beach, FL

http://svjohannarose.blogspot.com/

> On Oct 31, 2017, at 9:19 AM, cnc-list-requ...@cnc-list.com wrote:
>
> Subject: Re: Stus-List News story
> To: "CnC CnC discussion list" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com
> <mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>>
> Cc: "David Knecht" <davidakne...@gmail.com <mailto:davidakne...@gmail.com>>
> Date: Friday, October 27, 2017, 2:32 PM
>
> Yes, but the
> report in the UK Mail says that they had a mast problem, and
> could sail at 4-5 knots. I don?t see why that is a
> problem. ?The real question is now they got ?lost?.
> ?Did they have no navigational capability? ?No solar or
> wind power? ?Also, they lost their cell phone overboard the
> first day. ?What use is a cell phone in the Pacific Ocean?
> ?Lots more to hear on this one. ?Dave
>
> Aries1990
> C&C 34+New
> London, CT

The bills have started coming in for the year 2018 and have gone up again.
October will be our fund raising month.  Please consider sending a small
contribution to help keep this list running.  Use PayPal to send contribution
--   https://www.paypal.me/stumurray

All contributions are greatly appreciated!