I also replaced my 35 year old diesel tank during a refit in 2009-2010. Same
cause of failure - pinholes in the bottom because of moisture collecting
between tank and wood platform. The seepage caused a bit of lingering diesel
smell in the boat, and I was unable to find any leaks that would explain the
smell. At least until I removed the tank.

I was able to get a new tank made and increase from 20 to 22 gallons. Cost
was more reasonable than yours, but then it was 7 years ago, I'm doing the
work in rural North Carolina, and paying is $US.

When I reinstalled the tank, I put 6 nitrile pads between it and the wood
platform to allow air to circulate. They are 6x6 (150mm?) by 1/8" thick
rubber sheets available at the local hardware store and used to make
plumbing gaskets.  Just bought some more to use as cushioning gaskets for
another project and they were $1.59 at Lowes.

Based on our similar experiences, owners of older boats with persistent
diesel  smell from an unknown source might want to check the bottom of their
fuel tank.

Rick Brass

Imzadi  C&C 38 mk2 #47

la Belle Aurore  C&C 25 mk1 #225