I never suggested using automotive hose for a boat fuel system. Rather, I
said there were other places to buy suitable hose, including an auto parts
store.

46CFR Chapter I, Subchapter T, part 182.720E requires that flexible fuel
hose used in construction of small passenger vessels meets the requirement
of SAE J-1942. J-1942 is essentially SAE J30R2 hydraulic hose with a higher
melting point.

Gates C5M hose meets these requirements. Trident does not offer a hose in
their catalog that does.

USCG requirements for fuel hose used in small recreational vessels have USCG
standards A1 and A2, both of which are met by SAE J-1527 (which is similar
to ABYC H-33). Trident fuel hoses all meet J-1527. A number of automotive
hose providers - including Goodyear - offer J-1527 hose.

Remember SAE stands for Society of Automotive Engineers. Manufacturers who
cater to automotive markets have higher production volumes and economies of
scale (and maybe scope) vs. marine product manufacturers. And the auto parts
market is a lot more competitive than the boat parts market.

So pick your poison: J-1527 or the commercial J-1942 hose. And then check to
see how inexpensively you can get the hose from multiple sources.

BTW, Joe, fuel hose on aircraft just has to be "suitable" for the
application, but the requirement for the fire sleeve is in 14CFR!,C,23,e.

Rick Brass

Washington, NC