Grenadine came with mainsail halyard and spinnaker pole topping lift exiting
the mast on the starboard side, and two headsail halyards exiting the mast on
the port side, plus the spinnaker halyard (external to the mast) cleating on
the port side of the mast.

I switched the mainsail halyard and the primary headsail halyard so that the
mainsail halyard now exits the port side of the mast, and the primary headsail
halyard exits the starboard side of the mast.  The spare headsail halyard still
exits the port side of the mast.  The rationale was for racing with the
spinnaker, the crew member at the mast could raise the pole, then hoist the
spinnaker, then drop the headsail, all from the starboard side of the mast
(which is normally the windward side at spinnaker hoist time on a windward /
leeward course with marks left to port).

That was all a good theory, but it hasn’t really worked that way in practice.
(Remember Yogi Berra said “In theory, practice and theory are the same.  But in
practice they’re not.”)  For one thing the spinnaker halyard still cleats on
the port side of the mast.  Ideally it would cleat on the starboard side, so
the mast crew member could hoist and cleat it from the starboard side.  For
another thing we lead the primary headsail halyard aft, so someone in the
cockpit controls it.  For another thing we normally launch the spinnaker from a
turtle aft of the port shrouds, and it has a dousing sock on it.  So some crew
member (foredeck) has to be on the port side anyway, to open the turtle, hoist
the sock after the spinnaker is hoisted, and cleat the sock halyard.  For a
last thing some crew member (foredeck) has to pull the headsail down by its
luff and tie it down.  So our foredeck guy normally hoists the spinnaker and
cleats its halyard, instead of the mast guy doing that.  Basically all our mast
guy does is raise the pole.  But not leading the primary headsail halyard aft,
and putting another horn cleat on the starboard side of the mast for the
spinnaker halyard, could keep him busier.

Cheers,
Randy Stafford
S/V Grenadine
C&C 30-1 #7