Here's my take on the centerboard:
We generally drop the board as soon as we are in deep enough water to ensure we
won't touch bottom.  Here in West Florida, touching bottom is a real and
present danger as you go in & out of harbors, and even in the intracoastal.  To
have anything more than 5' of draft here is far less than ideal, and will limit
your harbor choices.  Our centerboard is very heavy, and not only requires the
winch to raise it, but the low-speed function is needed as it reaches the top
of the board travel.
Our harbor fouls bottoms pretty quickly, but our board has never been stuck.
That said, the boat sat for =/- 7 years with very limited use in Marco Island
before we bought her, and we had to pry the centerboard down a little during
the survey.
Our biggest concern is that of cable maintenance (which so far we have no real
experience with), and braking the cable, which could result in centerboard
damage or the inability to return to our dock until such time as we found a way
to pull it up with other lines & winches, which given the shape of our board
might prove problematic.

Finally, she points like crazy with the board down!
That said, little of this may apply to your prospect boat...

Bruce Whitmore
1994 C&C 37/40+, "Astralis", Madiera Beach, FL
(847) 404-5092 (mobile)
bwhitm...@sbcglobal.net