I live on the west coast of Florida, on an island called Tierra Verde. I had
Progressive for years because it had a good deal for smaller, older boats in
the hurricane zone – about $500 a year for 10K coverage and, more importantly
here, liability and full salvage, in case the boat gets whacked in a storm.
Then the premium began creeping up noticeably every year, until it was about
$800.
I checked out BoatUS and found, to my amazement, that its formerly huge
premiums for Florida had dropped to where I could get better coverage than
Progressive for $400 a year. Again, no survey, just photos and a self-reported
form on the boat’s condition.
I’m holding my breath to see what happens at renewal time after this past
hurricane season.
I’m also thinking about a larger cruising boat (maybe even a C&C again!), so
I’m bracing myself for that. A friend with an Island Packet 37 that he cruises
all over says he pays 5K a year on a boat worth maybe 150K.
Jack Brennan
Former C&C 25
Shanachie, 1974 Bristol 30
Tierra Verde, Fl.