You mentioned the $0 deductible that Geico/BoatUS now "provides". While
that is technically true, it has been replaced with a depreciation curve on
parts. I found this out this year after a claim.

I had to have my steering pedestal replaced after a weather related
incident. The new parts were depreciated (either by 40% or to 40% cant
remember). So under the old $500 deductible that is what I would have paid.
Under the new scheme I wound up paying $700+ for the depreciation on the
parts.

A friend of mine also had a claim this year after a grounding, the cost of
which was several times the cost of the pedestal. He paid about the same
out of pocked because the bulk of the repair was labor.

We were talking about this and discussed what would happen if either of our
boats (20+ and 30+ years old) were to be dis masted. If the boat were not
totaled, the bulk of the repair would be parts (spar and rigging) which
would be depreciated by some %. If the total repair were 40k of which 30k
or more were parts and the depreciation were 50% you could be on the hook
for 15k.

I have had BoatUS for more than 15 years across three boats. and I have had
claims for a lightning strike, named storm damage and the most recent
claim. I can say they have always been responsive and great to work with.

That said, their new "no deductible" policy has me seriously considering
shopping for a new policy.

Eric
C&C 34/36+