Hello all,
Our outhaul is faded and ready for replacement.  Currently, it is comprised of
Sta-Set braided to wire, and the wire is then formed around a small thimble as
it attaches to a car in the slot on the boom.  A photo can be found here:
Outhaul.jpg.

|   |    |

|    |
Outhaul.jpg
 Shared with Dropbox  |   |

I'd like to just go with a decent line and avoid the whole splice, thimble &
nicopress fitting idea.  I should have enough room for a simple knot and still
have enough travel.  But, I need to convert the attachment to the sliding car.
I'm thinking, however, that if I tie a 3/8 or 7/16" line to a larger shackle,
it may apply too much sideways pull on the hole in the car.    Has anyone else
dealt with this on a C&C 37/40+ with a similar boom & wire rope setup?

By the way, I really like the Novabraid Argus or NE Ropes VPC due to the
"nubby" cover that grabs nicely in my clutches.  The current clutch slips
slightly on my very old and tired outhaul, but I'm not sure a Argus or VPC to
wire braid is either possible or even desirable.

Thanks for the advice! Bruce Whitmore
1994 C&C 37/40+
Madeira Beach, FL
(847) 404-5092 (mobile)