Thanks Josh!
Quick related question.  The existing line appears to be 7/16 leading to 1/8
wire somewhere in the boom.  Did you change out the sheive, and/or will 7/16
line fit?  It seems like it might as my reef lines are 7/16.
Thanks for all your insights,
Bruce Whitmore

-------- Original message --------From: Josh Muckley via CnC-List
<cnc-list@cnc-list.com> Date: 6/11/18  10:34 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: C&C List
<cnc-list@cnc-list.com> Cc: Josh Muckley <muckl...@gmail.com> Subject: Re:
Stus-List Outhaul replacement, C&C 37/40+
Bruce,
I did a core to core eye splice which I simply attach to the d-shackle which
you have shown in the picture.  I attach it to the D not the pin effectively
keeping the clew and the eye of the outhaul tied together.  You could also use
an additional soft shackle to directly attach the eye to the clew.
While you are at it you might consider adding a purchase system to your
outhaul.  I added a 4:1 internal to the boom and now I can adjust the outhaul
under almost all wind conditions.  I also added a 2:1 to the first reef.  It is
amazing how much easier it is to make adjustments and reef.  I didn't have
enough boom length to accommodate any form of purchase on the 2nd reef but
since there is so much less sail it doesn't make too much difference.  In order
to create a fixed point for my purchase systems I worked with a local fab shop
to make a becket for the triple turning block in the mast end of the boom.  You
can see the block in the link below but the picture is prior to the addition of
the becket.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8pEh5lnvP1ydWx5N3FISk5JWUU/view?usp=drivesdk

Josh Muckley S/V Sea Hawk 1989 C&C 37+Solomons, MD

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018, 10:07 PM Bruce Whitmore via CnC-List