Tom,
     The back stay with baby stay make a dramatic difference in the
handling and performance of the boat upwind when it starts to blow.  I do
agree that the absence of the back stay adjuster reduces stress on the rig
and the captain.  I can't imagine the chaos if the back stay attachments
failed.

Gary
S/V Kaylarah
'90 C&C 37+