So...  I went over to Kaylarah this morning and found the following:

The back stay diagonals are 235" long
The spread between the attachments is 80"
Doing the math, that means if the maximum tension on the vertical rod is
5000 lbs., then the tension on the diagonals is 2537 lbs.
>From here you can apply any safety factor you like, just maintain the
ration of 2537 : 5000.
Because the angle between the diagonals is so small (smaller than I
thought), it is pretty close to 2:1.

Personally, I'm going to try and keep the tension on the diagonals less
than 2000 lbs. which keeps the upper rod below 3942 lbs.  (Now where did I
put that Loos gauge?)

Gary
S/V Kaylarah
'90 C&C 37+