Hi Nathan,

A previous owner raised the boom on my 30-1 by exactly one foot, comparing
former and current gooseneck bracket hole patterns on the mast, probably as a
safety and comfort choice.  Later HINs than mine (I have hull #7) came from the
factory with that modification - the boom a foot higher than on the early HINs.

Like Dennis, I have no way of comparing boat feel before and after.  But I have
no complaints about the way my boat sails.  I’m 6’2” and the boom just clears
my head on tacks and gybes, with the vang set for a level boom.  I added a vang
and it forms a 30-60-90 triangle or better (wouldn’t have been possible with a
lower boom).  Standing on the cabintop I have no problem reaching the headboard
to shackle the halyard or put on / take off the sail cover.

My previous mainsail always looked short in the foot to me.  I wondered if the
previous owner who raised the boom cut off the bottom 12” of the sail resulting
in a shorter foot.  This year I got a new mainsail and made the foot as long as
possible given the boom-end, screw-drive outhaul system on the original 30-1
roller-reefing boom.  I have the occasional problem with the top batten
catching the backstay in light wind, but in those conditions I have the
backstay adjusted loose and can just jiggle the backstay to let the batten pass.

Best Regards,
Randy Stafford
S/V Grenadine
C&C 30-1 #7