From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Nathan Post
via CnC-List
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2018 11:12 AM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Nathan Post
Subject: Re: Stus-List Raising the boom?

Thanks for all the great feedback on this.  On my boat as with some of the
others the goose neck is attached with a bunch of machine screws - not welded
so I expect it should be straight forward to move it up - simply drill and tap
new holes in the mast.  I could put some screws in the old holes to "fill"
them.   Thinking about height of the boom for flaking/covering the sail and
attaching the halyard to the head are important considerations - I'll make a
few measurements/trials and see how much higher makes sense to go based on
that.  Other boats I have sailed on have had the top batten catch on the back
stay and while annoying there are ways to shake it loose as suggested so not
that big a deal to me (not planning on any short course racing with lots of
tacks).  Raising the clew helps with cockpit clearance, but not with vang angle
so that is a consideration and if just raising the clue that would also mean
installing new reef points in the sail if we wanted to keep the same angle when
reefed so raising the gooseneck seems to be the way to go in my case.

Thanks!

Nathan

S/V Wisper
1981 C&C 34