I've have surprisingly good results using Atwood pumps.  They advertise as
being Johnson replaceable and have a 3 year warranty.  I don't know about
being a better foot print, higher capacity, better built, or more
reliable.  My most recent one lasted about 3 years which matched the age of
the more expensive Rule which it replaced.

I installed a rule automatic pump shortly after buying the boat.  When in
auto it would start every 2.5 minutes and "test" for water.  Unfortunately
with even a small amount of backflow this could cause it to cycle
excessively by getting false positives when it "tested" for water.  This
was annoying in the least, particularly when trying to sleep.

I'm preferential to a float type auto switch wired in parallel with the
manual switch.  My auto float switch is mounted above the pump and only
turns on when a considerable amount of water accumulates.  Under normal
conditions I manually pump the bilge down and the float just catches it
when I've abandoned the boat for weeks on end.

I have a check valve.  There I said it.  In a perfect I world have a very
high capacity "emergency" pump and associated auto float mounted just above
the float for the lower "normal" pump.  The emergency pump would not have a
check valve.  It would have a high loop to avoid a siphon but nothing to
prevent backflow.  It would also be as short and straight of a run as
possible to the discharge.  In this way I could ensure the emergency
reliability and capacity of an emergency bilge pump by keeping it dry and
rarely using it.  I would retain the normal bilge pump's ability to pump
the bilge to its lowest reasonable level.  Both would work automatically
and manually.

The pump I have is 1200 gph (20 gpm) or 4 x 5 gallon buckets per minute -
more flow than I can move manually but not much.  Once, I accidentally left
the transducer plugs out when launching the boat.  We discovered the
situation before water got to the floor boards but not before a
considerable amount of water had made it in.  Once the situation was
corrected the bilge pump continued to run for what seemed like the better
part of 5 minutes.  The point being, 1200gph sounds big... It isn't.  If I
had a shaft seal that failed, the pump almost certainly would not have kept
up and that is the least catastrophic emergency I can think of.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD

On Jan 15, 2019 12:16 PM, "Bruno Lachance via CnC-List" <