I am putting Touche's steering system back together with the upgraded
rudder travel limiting bulkhead installed in the later model 35-1's.  Some
may recall my post some time back that rudder travel was limited by two
small bolts installed in the last links on each side of the chain.

I used a sketch that Neil Gallagher sent me of his rudder limit plate to
make wooden templates to tweak for finalizing the shape before cutting
aluminum ones.  These plates strike the newly installed bulkhead.

As a note, I have taken lots of pictures and am well documenting this
entire project.

When I tried moving the rudder side to side with the limit plate templates
installed, the rudder travel wasn't even close to what I saw when the
travel was limited by the nuts installed in the chain.  There were 4-5
links of chain left before getting to the link that the stop bolts were
installed in.

So I looked at the top of the rudder to see how much travel it was
getting.  It's getting a bit over 45 degrees each side of midships.
Sheesh, it must have been getting to 60 or 70 degrees with the old limit
system.

At 45 degrees, the pulling cable is competely off the curved part of the
quadrant.

So, my question is "how much rudder travel is enough?"  Seems to me
anything past 45 degrees or so might act more like a brake.  I can't see
using extreme rudder travel anywhere except in tight quarters in a marina.

Can I live with 45 degrees?  Rob?  Chuck?

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA