Dennis,
To echo Rob’s concerns regarding the creation of a robust rudder stop, if the
previous iteration utilized two bolts inserted in the steering chain, I would
take a thorough inspection of the pedestal sprocket.  Steel bolts coming into
contact with bronze sprocket teeth under load or at high speed won’t be kind to
the teeth.  Sprocket and chain replacement might be advised (unless if your
pedestal is made by Morch or Cinkel in which case you’re out of luck finding a
new sprocket).
Adding some heavy rubber bumpers or cushioning shock absorbers on your new
rudder stop plate might allow it to last longer and be kinder to the new
bulkhead as well.  A cut up piece of old exhaust hose might do the trick.
Cheers and best of luck,
Chuck Gilchrest
S/V Half Magic
1983 35 LF