Your spinnaker is just a small bit larger than mine – less than a foot longer
in the foot and a few feet taller. That is possible to handle with two folks on
the foredeck – end for end jibing and a 13 foot pole. On the 30-1, our pole is
13 ½ feet and our hoist is 39 whereas yours is 44. We have been doing
end-for-end and using a single set of sheets for over 25 years with success.

We do have a set of twings – the lines are run through blocks on the rail at
the widest point and run back to cam cleats/blocks near the cockpit. We use
them all the time, pull them tight when jibing, letting the ‘sheet’ end loose
and keeping the pole end tight. We are not very brave and do not do serious
reaching with the chute because it is full and high shouldered – would like to
have a smaller, flatter, chute for reaching, but that just adds complexity for
our short races. The 30-1 is very stout, I don’t know how tender the 33 is.

I have crewed on a number of boats with sheets/guys and dipping and I find our
way is much simpler – and not so prone to mistakes. But I’ve crewed on J-80’s
and find a sprit and asym easiest of all. The 115 I will be on tonight with an
extra long pole is most difficult to get right.

Keep it simple and you will find it enjoyable.

Gary Nylander

St. Michaels MD

30-1 Penniless