Tom,

Good advice so far.  <35 feet end for end.

My most important advice = train your crew, and especially your
helmsperson, to visualize the boat turning under the chute.  NOT the chute
coming across the boat.  Have your crew visualize the chute going dead
downwind without changing aspect.  The boat just turns back and forth at an
angle to the chute.

Practice with your crew in light air.  Have the helmperson make slow,
smooth turns.  Let the bowman make the pole on the mast.  The bowman stands
just to leeward of the mast with the new sheet in one hand and the trip
line in the other hand.  The downhaul and twings (tweakers) get released.
On the command "gybing", he releases the pole jaw from the ring, slaps the
new sheet in the jaw, swings the pole across while releasing the old sheet
(new guy) and makes the other jaw on the ring.  "Mast - sheet - sheet
-mast".  At the last "Mast", the main is gybed.  The boat should be about
halfway through the turn.  Slow turn.  Slow.

If the bowman is having trouble, slow or even stop the turn until the pole
is made on the mast.

I'm not a big guy.  I've been doing foredeck for many years.  It's a
choreography between bowman and helmsperson.  The helmsperson has to LET
the bowman do the gybe.  The bowman should dictate the speed of the turn.
Too often, the helmsperson wants to complete the turn before the bow work
is finished.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA