From: CnC-List <cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com> on behalf of Chuck Gilchrest via
CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 10:33:43 AM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Chuck Gilchrest <csgilchr...@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Sad day, APS no longer carrying rope or hardware!

I’m discouraged that APS is no longer an outlet for sailboat hardware and
rigging.  They had a very knowledgeable staff and were a great resource for
most things relating to sailboat racing.  They were also one of the last
bastions of supply for one design parts, especially smaller keelboat classes
such as Etchells, J-24, J-80, and Sonars.  Someone may eventually come along
and fill the gaps in the supply chain, but how and when is TBD.
I will say that there’s no shortage of places to buy line and would encourage
former APS customers to look at Defender,  R&W Rope,  Landfall Navigation, or
heaven forbid, your local rigger to supply you with the ropes you need for your
C&C.  I think too many folks gravitate towards the “cheapest” option for buying
cordage rather than the “best” option, all of which includes getting the right
rope for the application rather than what’s on sale.  And as Josh discovered,
the “sale price” of 20% off doesn’t amount to much if the regular price is
already 20-25% higher than the local sailboat rigger would sell it to you.
I’ll miss making my annual pilgrimage to APS during the Annapolis Boat Show as
I always enjoyed checking out the wide selection of cordage and hardware on
hand at the store.  I do think its cool that Fawcetts is stepping up to service
the performance sailors in Nap Town.  They’ve always been a high quality outlet
for marine goods, but never much on servicing the racers in the past.
Chuck Gilchrest
S/V Half Magic
1983 35 Landfall
Padanaram, MA