Our raw water intake for the AC used to share the engine raw water intake.
We now have a separate thru hull for the AC.  The AC Raw Water pump and
strainer are located just above the transmission, just inside the rear
access door in the aft cabin, easy access.  There is a nice teak enclosure
surrounding the AC unit, under the stairs, with vents forward to the galley
area and aft to the stern berth.  The air intake is a teak louvre on the
side facing the galley. There is a shelf created as a result just under the
top step with a fiddle surrounding, a handy place for small stuff just
inside the companionway. Doesn't look like an add on at all, looks like it
had been there when the boat was built.

The discharge hose runs under the fuel tank to a thru hull next to the
others in the stern.

This is a photo of the AC enclosure under the stairs on a sister 37/40:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/16/C%26C_37-40_Galley_Interior.jpg

Ken H.