Hey Bruce, In C&C's effort (probably Rob Ball) to minimize the drag/turbulence
etc. of this era's boards, they were made 'elliptical' such that no matter how
far the board was lowered, it fully 'filled' the trunk opening which reduces
drag, etc. from what would otherwise be an large opening where the back of the
board meets the trunk. Only when released (to the point of being supported only
by the pin) can the board end of the cable be inspected, or replaced for that
matter, in or out of the water. You have probably noticed that even when fully
down, there is considerable tension on the pennant--because the board is still
secured by both the pennant and the pin. It may be 'down' but it is not
completely 'down'. I happen to know the weight of my board because the yard
weighed its replacement after running a betting pool on what it would weigh
after it was filled with lead. The yard secretary was closest to the actual
weight--924 lbs. It takes a #30 Lewmar winch and a 3:1 purchase to raise it. I
suspect that any 37/40 board (basically from the same era at C&C--late 80s to
early 90s) would weigh at least that much. Only when I am racing with crew is
it lowered/raised--I never use it for cruising.  If your pennant breaks
catastrophically (while in the up position, as mine did), the least of your
worries will be damage to the trunk (although you will have that also)!  Mine
let go while up and with ~ 925 lbs. swinging from ~ horizontal to vertical, it
smashed into the trunk with so much force that the board sheared off at the pin
when it hit the trunk and most of it lies in the Neuse River.  This was after ~
16 years on the 1st pennant. Unfortunately, the pennant is not easily inspected
unless you let the board go down past its normal stop position and I suspect
the 37/40 board is similar. Thus although the pennant was 'inspected' by the
yard almost yearly, they did not lower it far enough to notice the fraying SS
cable--but this was clearly visible after the board 'disappeared'!  I have been
tempted to use Dyneema as the pennant but the yard is more comfortable
replacing SS with SS and the cost of the cable is comparable to the equivalent
line and the labor is about the same.  Since that disaster, I have the pennant
replaced every 5-6 years with SS cable. This cost is but a small fraction of
building a new board and installing the boat over it--believe me I know!
Charlie Nelson1995 C&C 36 XL/kcbWater Phantom      -----Original Message-----