Edd Schillay shared a sketch of the Centre Board Pendant arrangement on the
C&C 37/40 with the list a few years ago.

If you haven't seen it a copy can be accessed and downloaded from this
page: https://c-c-37-40.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html?m=1

Scroll down a bit to find it.

Ken H.

On Wednesday, 2 October 2019, Bruce Whitmore via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
> Hi Charlie,
> That was EXTREMELY helpful!
>
> Yes, ours has that same behavior - the cable being taut even though the
board is "down" and the eye is resting against the stop.

> That potential damage is enough to make me nervous.  I think what I will
do while I wait until the next haul-out is to be at the boat when the next
bottom cleaning is done, do it at high tide, and have the diver do a visual
inspection.  It won't mean that 100% of the cable is good, but at least
I'll know the condition at the board!

> Thank for the in-depth insights,
>
> Bruce Whitmore
>
> (847) 404-5092 (mobile)
> bwhitm...@sbcglobal.net
>

> On Wednesday, October 2, 2019, 4:59:32 PM EDT, Charlie Nelson via
CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> Hey Bruce,
>
> In C&C's effort (probably Rob Ball) to minimize the drag/turbulence etc.
of this era's boards, they were made 'elliptical' such that no matter how
far the board was lowered, it fully 'filled' the trunk opening which
reduces drag, etc. from what would otherwise be an large opening where the
back of the board meets the trunk. Only when released (to the point
of being supported only by the pin) can the board end of the cable be
inspected, or replaced for that matter, in or out of the water. You have
probably noticed that even when fully down, there is considerable tension
on the pennant--because the board is still secured by both the pennant and
the pin. It may be 'down' but it is not completely 'down'.

> I happen to know the weight of my board because the yard weighed its
replacement after running a betting pool on what it would weigh after it
was filled with lead. The yard secretary was closest to the actual
weight--924 lbs. It takes a #30 Lewmar winch and a 3:1 purchase to raise
it. I suspect that any 37/40 board (basically from the same era at
C&C--late 80s to early 90s) would weigh at least that much. Only when I am
racing with crew is it lowered/raised--I never use it for cruising.

> If your pennant breaks catastrophically (while in the up position, as
mine did), the least of your worries will be damage to the trunk (although
you will have that also)!

> Mine let go while up and with ~ 925 lbs. swinging from ~ horizontal to
vertical, it smashed into the trunk with so much force that the board
sheared off at the pin when it hit the trunk and most of it lies in the
Neuse River.

> This was after ~ 16 years on the 1st pennant. Unfortunately, the pennant
is not easily inspected unless you let the board go down past its normal
stop position and I suspect the 37/40 board is similar. Thus although the
pennant was 'inspected' by the yard almost yearly, they did not lower it
far enough to notice the fraying SS cable--but this was clearly visible
after the board 'disappeared'!

> I have been tempted to use Dyneema as the pennant but the yard is more
comfortable replacing SS with SS and the cost of the cable is comparable to
the equivalent line and the labor is about the same.

> Since that disaster, I have the pennant replaced every 5-6 years with SS
cable. This cost is but a small fraction of building a new board and
installing the boat over it--believe me I know!

> Charlie Nelson
> 1995 C&C 36 XL/kcb
> Water Phantom

not only have to use the cabintop winch to get it up, but even in the slow
speed when I am feeling particularly wimpy.  I have also heard of another
37/40+ cable breaking, resulting in the centerboard slamming down and
damaging the trunk.
> What weight is yours/ and is this a concern for others with a centerboard
beyond the 37/40+?
> I have not had my boat out of the water yet for a bottom job (I bought it
a couple years ago), but I'm certainly thinking I should replace it when I
do.
> How often do you folks replace your cable?
> If you've had it fail, do you get any warning (other than the recent post
about fraying)?
> Thanks!
>
> Bruce Whitmore
> 1994 C&C 37/40+
> "Astralis"
> (847) 404-5092 (mobile)
> bwhitm...@sbcglobal.net
>

> On Wednesday, October 2, 2019, 1:47:57 PM EDT, CHARLES SCHEAFFER via
CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> FWIW, I like amsteel where I can see it. I spliced my lifelines in
amsteel. And I replaced a SS cable in my vang with dyneema. I use soft
schackles. But I think I'd prefer a centerboard pendant to be SS where it
can stand up to unseen abrasion & barnacles and will last 20 + years. Am I
overthinking this?

> Chuck S, Resolute, 1990 C&C 34R Maryland
>
> On October 2, 2019 at 12:06 PM Tim Rutherford via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> Hi Rod,
> My setup is a little different, but may be more easily serviced.
> I've done this a couple of times last year and had to follow up to get
the dimensions exactly right. We did it in the water - diver worked below.
We sent down a light gauge messenger line and used it to pull in the new
pendant. Easy. Mine is made with dyneema with an eye splice at each end.
Lower shackle is 5/16 and upper is smaller (3/16" I think). Can't remember
the price but it was under $100. Maybe $70. Lasts a coupe of years.

> Centerboard pendant
> Dyneema12'6"x5/16" LOA (not incl D shackle)
> Ocean 3000XG 5/16" 9900 lbs.; std D shackle 5/16", L:29mm, W:17mm (Island
Nautical) Jul 3, 2018

> Hope this helps. Call if you need more info.
> --
> Tim Rutherford
> 1981 C&C 36-1 #244 Chamamé
> Tampa, FL
> tim.rutherford.m...@gmail.com
> 813 748 4888 cel/text
>
> On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 3:22 PM Michael Brannon via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> Rod,  the arrangement on my boat is a thimble to a shackle at the
centerboard.   You will have to cut the wire the remove it as the thimble
will not fit through the tube.   My pendant has an aircraft fork on deck.
The only thimble is at the board.
> I hope this helps,
> Mike
> Mike Brannon
> Virginia Lee 93295
> C&C 36 CB
> Virginia Beach, VA
>

> On Oct 1, 2019, at 1:07 PM, Rod Fisk via CnC-List < cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
wrote:
> I have to replace the wire pendant on my 1981 36-1. There are some broken
wires where the cable wraps around the thimble at the deck end. Does anyone
have any detailed specs or drawings? I work at an industrial rigging shop
so I can have a new one made. I also want to know what to expect when I
lift the boat this month so I have the right tools to take off the old one.
> Thanks
> Rod Fisk
> 36-1 Corsair Lake Winnebago, WI

and every one is greatly appreciated.  If you want to support the list -
use PayPal to send contribution --    https://www.paypal.me/stumurray