I have a modern charger.  ProMariner P-Nautic 1260.  Granted my batteries
are big and not failing.

For unknown reasons I have blown a Xantrex True Charge 40 amp(modern).
Refunded under warranty.  Could have been bad luck but I'm leaning towards
the idea that it is bad engineering.  Under the exact same conditions I've
never had a problem with the P-Nautic.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+