Thank you all for the responses on this subject.  I got information I was
looking for:

* The Gulf Yachting Association PHRF Committee conducts an annual review. The
minutes of the most recent annual review show +3/-3 adjustments based on
performance.
* The Narragansett Bay PHRF Committee reviews boat performance regularly.  Its
principles state that handicaps are adjusted on the basis of the boat's
performance.
* At Shawn Wright's club (somewhere in British Columbia), the club handicapper
provides a rating and it is reviewed after each series of races based on
results.
* In PHRF Lake Ontario, classes that consistently perform differently from
their rating get reviewed by PHRF-LO Central Council every year.

I believe that such regular reviews and adjustments based on observed
performance are part of the intent of PHRF.  For example the class rules
(https://www.phrfsocal.org/wp-content/uploads/Rules/lr.pdf
<https://www.phrfsocal.org/wp-content/uploads/Rules/lr.pdf>) of PHRF of
Southern California, which started PHRF (see
https://www.phrfsocal.org/phrf-history/
<https://www.phrfsocal.org/phrf-history/> and
https://www.ussailing.org/competition/offshore/phrf/
<https://www.ussailing.org/competition/offshore/phrf/>), provide for up to
three rating reviews per year for a boat, in section 4 of the class rules.

I asked about this because I suspect not every Regional Sailing Association (to
use the US Sailing term) conducts regular reviews and adjustments based on
observed performance.  And in my opinion that is a problem.  My RSA, the
Sailing Association of Intermountain Lakes (http://rmsail.org, in US Sailing’s
Area F), appointed a new PHRF Chairperson this year, who reviewed ratings as
annual PHRF certificates were renewed, but any adjustments made were not based
on observed performance.  Rather they were made by looking at “the book”
(https://www.ussailing.org/competition/offshore/phrf/phrf-handicaps
<https://www.ussailing.org/competition/offshore/phrf/phrf-handicaps>/) and
averaging ratings for a boat from other fleets with “similar" conditions (Area
F inland lakes).  As a result two boats in my club’s PHRF fleet, which do not
win regularly, were rated faster - while the boats that win most often kept
their same ratings.  While I understand the logic for the methodology, it
doesn't seem aligned with the intent of PHRF, and seems somewhat arbitrary.

As noted in this thread, there is a range of ratings across RSAs for the same
boat.  In the case of the C&C 30 MK I, it’s an 18-second range from 168-186.
There is no information in “the book” about predominant conditions to justify
different ratings in the range.  Nor is it possible to tell what a given RSA’s
rating about a boat assumes, e.g. folding propeller or not.  So there seems to
be a bit of arbitrariness in the system.

I’m lobbying in my club and RSA for regular reviews and adjustments based on
observed performance.  So I’m glad to find precedent for that amongst the
organizations in which members of this list race.

Best Regards,
Randy Stafford
S/V Grenadine
C&C 30 MK I #79