Great points Andy ! If your course  ever Takes you into  Oriental  NC please
reach out!  would love to say hello and meet up for a cold one

John Conklin
S/V Halcyon
S/V Heartbeat
www.flirtingwithfire.com

On Dec 17, 2019, at 1:24 PM, Andrew Burton via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
wrote:

 Sail with people you like!

Let the guys on the bow do the bow; let the guys on the halyards and sheets do
the halyards and sheets. If you’re steering, steer! If they have a screw up you
can be pretty sure they know and equally sure they are working to fix it. They
do t need you to tell them. Ted Turners famous “C’mon! You guys are making me
look bad!” only works for Ted.

Bring beer enough for everybody the ride in and if the weather is good, sail in.

We always got into race mode about half an hour before we got to the course,
but when we finished, the first beer came out immediately and the conversations
started. Not usually about sailing, either. Sometimes we won, usually we
didn’t—it was a tough fleet! But we always went out with the intention of
winning—and enjoying ourselves. Things occasionally got tense, but not often.
And when they did it was me who would mention that “it’s just a sailboat race,
it’s not life!”
We were a tight knit crew but we would always show up at the club after sailing
and hang with other crews.

Another thing, get the chicks involved. At least two and give them important
positions, don’t just relegate them to the galley or rail. So what if the jib
comes in a hair slower than if some hefty guy was doing the job if you drive
well it won’t matter  besides they’re fun to have around and they like being
part of the gang. And on my boat we always seemed to do better and have more
fun with them aboard.

In the off season we would get together as a crew periodically for drinks and a
meal. One of the best times was a rainy cold Saturday afternoon when we went
bowling—something no one had done more than once—with regulars and spare crew
members all showing up. Most of us needed to take a taxi home!

Andy

(Just entering the Alligator/Pungo canal
And looking forward to getting back to
Masquerade in
Oxford, MD)

Andrew Burton
139 Tuckerman Ave
Middletown, RI
USA 02842

+401 965 5260
https://sites.google.com/site/andrewburtonyachtservices/

On Dec 17, 2019, at 11:26, Della Barba, Joe via CnC-List