Thank you for the comments!

I see that my understanding was basically correct. The shaft RPM will be
lower than before, and using a larger prop or a prop with greater pitch
would counter this difference.

I'll update you later if I end up using the transmission with a different
gear ratio. I won't get a new propeller right away to get a chance to test
the new transmission with the old prop.

I think there's a chance the gear ratios are close enough that I'll get the
same speeds at still reasonable engine RPMs. What I'm thinking is that
lower prop RPM also means that the prop slip will be lower, so even though
the prop RPM would be 19% lower, the boat speed is likely to decrease by
less than 19%.

Thank you,

Olivier Chatot
C&C 38-3