I have two forestays with furlers, with the inner mounted about 18" lower
on the mast (and about 24" aft on the deck). Neither have restrainers that
I can see, and I only have wrapping issues if I forget to put a bit of
tension on the halyard before unfurling. With too much tension, the furler
may jam; not enough, and the halyard may wrap. It most often happens if I
have not sailed for a while, and the slack halyard has allowed the sail to
ease downward a bit. In this case, tensioning the halyard, then easing off
a bit will usually resolve it.

--
Shawn Wright
shawngwri...@gmail.com