From: CnC-List <cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com> On Behalf Of Randy Stafford via
CnC-List
Sent: May 15, 2020 1:23 PM
To: cnc-list <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Randy Stafford <randal.staff...@icloud.com>
Subject: Stus-List Tacking Down an Asym on a 30 MK I

Listers-

A guy in my yacht club has started an arms race by adding an asym with a
top-down furler to his Ranger 28.  Wednesday night in light air I beat him to
the windward mark by a minute or two, then he hoisted his asym and dropped me
like a bad habit.  He beat me by five minutes corrected time in a one-hour race
despite spotting me 12 sec/mile with his new adjusted rating (demonstrating yet
again that ratings don’t necessarily account for performance differences).  It
was an eye-opening demonstration.

So now I’m thinking I need an asym to compete.  I know a guy who flew one on a
30 MK I.  He welded a bracket forward of the stem, to fasten a tack line block,
and had a sock instead of a furler.  If I want to compete with this Ranger 28,
I’ll have to add two furlers (one on the forestay and one for the asym) to be
able to set sails as fast as him.  So I can’t just shackle an asym tack line
block to the spare headsail shackle on the stem, and hoist/douse the asym using
a sock.  I need a tack point forward of the stem to accommodate a furler.

Thus my question to you listers: any experience with adding a bowsprit or
bracket etc. to your C&C for tacking down an asymmetrical spinnaker?  I did
some reading last night on after-market bowsprits (e.g. Selden), but of course
wanted to check with the collective wisdom on Stu’s list.  Any advice or
recommendations?

Thanks,
Randy Stafford
S/V Grenadine