Edd,

I use a battery operated pump that fits in a 5 gallon can to fill my Kubota tractor and my kerosene heater.  We also used it on Glenn Gambel's C&C 36 when he had a temporary tank installed while motoring across Lake Michigan to get to Milwaukee for a Queens Cup Race.  We refueled in mid lake in cold and wet conditions.  It was even more difficult because the inlet to the tank was buried below deck.

These types of pumps can be obtained from places like Tractor Supply or Harbor Freight.

Neil Schiller
1983 C&C 35-3, #028, "Grace"
Whitehall, Michigan
WLYC