I rarely change mine.  I find that I'm more likely to cause a problem by
messing with them than leaving them alone.  The engine mounted filter is 2
micron IIRC and the engine can draw up to ~ 1 gallon per hour.  The
upstream Racor can be 2,10,or 30 micron and is rated at 15 gallon per
hour.  Many people will run a 10 or 30 micron to get the big chunks... I
run a 2 micron to protect the engine mounted filter.  Some people worry
that that will cause too much head loss and poor engine performance.  I say
that with a design flow rate ~15x that of the engine consumption you would
have to be at filter end of life or have a sever fouling incident that was
going to shut down the engine one way or another.

I run a suction pressure gage on the racor and monitor how it changes over
time.  If the engine has to start sucking harder then it tells me that the
filter is getting fouled.  I keep spares but typically some other fuel
system maintenance is going to admit air in the system before the gage
tells me it is time.  I probably got better than 4 years out of the last
one and the only reason I changed it was because it I was doing other fuel
system work.

On Yanmar engines the bleed screws on the engine mounted filters are
notorious for stripping and/or leaking.  I don't touch them.  I vent at the
banjo fitting on the high pressure injector pump.  If you have copper
washers then you would have to replace the washers at this time.  See how
changing the fuel filter just messes everything up?!  If you replace the
copper washers with seal washers then you can reuse them successfully many
times.  Videos below show suction pressure gage mod, seal washer mod, quick
and easy fuel venting mod, and finally the seal washer venting
location/method.

https://youtu.be/H-GI38vE4hQ

https://youtu.be/F7KD1_EZmU4

Josh Muckley