Time and again I have read that Yanmar does not recommend a 2/3 micron primary
filter.  I therefore use a 10 micron, and use Biobar, as well as some Seafoam.
 I have some old crud in my tank, but where I can see it through the hole for
the sender, the bits I can see are pretty well stuck to the bottom of the tank
(and there are not many of them).  That said, the boat had sat at the dock for
+/- 6 years before I got her, and we have run 150 gallons or so of fuel through
the boat in the last 4 years.  I change my Racor every year, and I used to
change the one on the engine every year as well.  This time, I'm going to let
the engine mounted one go another year.  We still get a fine layer of black
"grit" at the bottom of the racor over the year, but it does not appear to
hinder the running of the engine.  I'd rather swap out a $20 filter once a year
than risk the engine shutting down as I go through a bridge opening with 3 kts.
of current.  To each their own,Bruce Sent from Samsung tablet.
-------- Original message --------From: Kevin Driscoll via CnC-List
<cnc-list@cnc-list.com> Date: 5/24/20  1:47 AM  (GMT-05:00) To: CnC-List
<cnc-list@cnc-list.com> Cc: Kevin Driscoll <kevindrisc...@gmail.com> Subject:
Re: Stus-List Diesel Filter I run a 2 micron in my primary Racor as Josh
mentioned and on the advice of the teacher of a 'small marine diesel engine
class' I took. I never wait for the engine to stall before changing and I do
not have a guage. What I do have and maintain is a clean tank and use biobor
religiously. I change my primary annually or before a big offshore trip, for
peace of mind. Hell of a lot easier to use a 2 micron in the primary and leave
the downstream 2 micron secondary engine mounted filter in place. I top off the
primary Racor with Diesel when I put it back together so I never have to bleed.
On Sat, May 23, 2020, 2:31 PM Edd Schillay via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
wrote:David,I wasn’t on board, but I think one was a precaution and the other
because of a stall-out. All the best, Edd———————————————-Edd M. SchillayCaptain
of the “Starship Enterprise”C&C 37+ | Sail No.: NCC-1701-BVenice Yacht Club |
Venice Island, FLwww.StarshipSailing.com———————————————-914.774.9767   |
Mobile———————————————-Sent via iPhone 11 ProiPhone. iTypos. iApologizeOn May
23, 2020, at 5:02 PM, David Knecht via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
wrote:Hi Edd- How did you know you needed to change the filter twice on the
trip down?  Were there symptoms or just being cautious?  Dave
S/V Aries1990 C&C 34+New London, CT<pastedGraphic.tiff>

On May 23, 2020, at 4:00 PM, Edd Schillay via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
wrote:Bo,Much will depend on how much you use your engine, how clean your tank
is, and the quality of fuel you are using. When the Enterprise came down from
New York, she was practically motoring the entire time, adding many hours of
engine use in three weeks. For that trip, the filters were changed two times.
For normal use, like Josh, I have a fine raycor filter and change that maybe
once every several years - or if I can see notable clogging or the engine
stalls. The filter on the engine Itself I change once every three years or so.
I used to do oil changes and oil filter changes every fall before laying up for
the winter. Since there is no real layup season down here in Florida, I still
keep to my fall schedule. My engine (Beta 30) came with a maintenance schedule
based on engine hours. If you have that for your engine, that should be an
excellent guide. All the best, Edd———————————————-Edd M. SchillayCaptain of the
“Starship Enterprise”C&C 37+ | Sail No.: NCC-1701-BVenice Yacht Club | Venice
Island, FLwww.StarshipSailing.com———————————————-914.774.9767   |
Mobile———————————————-Sent via iPhone 11 ProiPhone. iTypos. iApologizeOn May
23, 2020, at 12:59 PM, General Gao via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
wrote:Hi everyone, Just wondering, how often do you have to change diesel
filters? or how do you tell it is time to change?Thank you,Bo
_______________________________________________Thanks everyone for supporting
this list with your contributions.  Each and every one is greatly appreciated.
If you want to support the list - use PayPal to send contribution --
https://www.paypal.me/stumurray_______________________________________________Thanks