" so folks will build up the radial drive with reinforcement plates above
and below the wheel and through bolt the attachment point through 3 layers
of metal to mitigate any torsional loads from the ram."

I think that is exactly what has been done to our Radial Wheel in the
photos I linked (i.e. there is another plate below the wheel, out of sight
in the photos)

Photos here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GDctE5v2j7jdphxr7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/mbUNnFetP4DzAZUW8

If the Radial Wheel gave up the ghost as Chuck suggests could happen, the
emergency tiller would still work. Better than nothing I suppose.

Ken H.