Jeff,

I'll chime in on the step up.  Our first keel boat was a Southcoast 23 (Carl Alberg design) that we decided was too small for us on Lake Michigan.  We went shopping for a 30 foot range (Catalina 30 was our target at the time) until I saw a Redwing 35 (C&C 35 Mark I) listed at the same range as we were targeting for the 30 range. Fell in love with the boat on first visit, but standing at the wheel looking at the bow I wasn't sure it was in the same zip code.  The boat had been stored indoor but had been neglected for years.  Our punch list was pretty big and the survey found several items that needed to be repaired immediately.  We bought it and sailed/motored it the 20 miles home from Holland, Michigan to South Haven, Michigan.  I absolutely envisioned a Forrest Gump docking on the first attempt.  I was absolutely and pleasantly surprised by the ease of getting her in.

As everyone else has chimed in the expenses over the next 21 years was significant, but we had a comfortable and reliable boat. Unfortunately one of the survey items repaired (upper chainplate bulkhead) finally gave up in 15 knot winds and we lost the mast at the spreader (which is how Joe Della Barba got his sails).  In replacing it, we looked at bigger (C&C 39) and smaller (C&C 32) until we lucked out and found the C&C 35 Mark III that we have now.

Your choices look good but do not underestimate the C&C 35-3. Plenty big enough for 6 adults.  Look for the boat that has the best "bones" that you can use while doing all of the "improvement" and maintenance required.

Neil Schiller
1983 C&C 35-3, #028, "Grace"
Whitehall, Michigan
WLYC