I have a Universal M4-30 diesel.  I expect there are different types of booster
pumps but if it's like mine, it's a booster pump, not a feed pump.
If the pump is ticking like a time bomb, it's trying to pump.  Mine has one
12VDC power wire and the mounting foot needs to be grounded to Negative, so
it's pretty hard to reverse polarity.  We lost the pump during the trip home
and found we could run the engine at half throttle without it and limp into a
marina for repairs.  Our problem was a dirty/loose ground connection and the
pump worked fine for the rest of the trip.  I replaced it with a pump from NAPA
that was built for a Nissan pickup truck, but had all the right parameters for
about $100.  Our system has a return hose so whatever excess fuel isn't used by
the injectors is returned to the tank.  This makes it possible to remove the
return line at the tank and put it in a jerry can or a large jar and run the
pump with the engine off you can watch the flow.  If you see bubbles, run it
until it is full fuel flowing without bubbles.  If you keep getting bubbles,
you have an air leak somewhere between the tank and the pump.  Check your hose
connections and if you see cracks in the rubber, replace the hoses.

BTW, I used the same pump empty my fuel tank once when I needed to replace the
tank.  I was on the hard, so extended the return line thru a thruhull into
jerry cans on the ground under my boat.  It took a while to fill three five
gallon jerry cans which I gave to a friend for heating oil.  I bought fresh
fuel for my new tank, and new hoses.

Chuck Scheaffer, Resolute 1989 C&C 34R, Pasadena Md