Solar power literature will indicate that you can expect to get the equivalent
of 6 hours per day of rated output on a clear summer's day, but that assumes
that you have a fixed mount with the panels mounted facing south and at an
angle approximating the latitude. My experience with 2 panels mounted flat on
top of a bimini on a sailboat is half of that. Also, unless you are using an
MPP (maximum power point) controller, the current rating of the panels is the
only specification that matters in sizing. An MPP controller can deliver a few
more amps by converting the power produced by the panels into power at the
voltage required for charging the batteries at an improved efficiency as
compared to a conventional controller which acts as a voltage limiter. MPP
controllers can be thought of as DC transformers.

Steve Thomas

---- Dave S via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
Hello all,

Need to replace my batteries and am contemplating an upgrade to Windstar's
off-the-dock power system.   Specifically evauating a battery upgrade and
potential top-up-charging.

Based on what I've read, a 100w panel would conservatively
contribute 400-500w daily (average)  in summer and be enough to help extend
my "off the grid" time.   I am on the North shore of Lake Ontario, Toronto
area.

Does anyone have any real-world data or experience with the actual charging
capacity of a sailboat mounted solar panel?    Would like to factor this
into my decisions.

Many thanks!

Dave
Windstar 33-2