Hey Charlie, if it is like the panels on my boat you should be able to get the plugs out reasonably easily, I drilled a small hole in the center and screwed a wood screw in, it popped the plugs out and I could remove the screws and thus the panel.  I'd go with that before resorting to a power tool...

You could replicate it with thin battens but you'd want some sort of tongue on them so there weren't visible gaps where the gelcoat above shows through.  And don't press the battens tight together in case they expand with humidity...

Graham Collins
Secret Plans
C&C 35-III #11

On 2021-02-01 9:31 p.m., Charlie Nelson via CnC-List wrote:
Thanks all who have chimed in with thoughts on my 'ceiling' problem.

I spoke with Rob at South Shore today and he recalled that C&C sourced this material to a local shop who has since gone out of business.

My next, probably last hope, is Noah Boatworks in Ontario per one of the listers. They do have teak battens which may work although I 'think' the current stuff is a sheet of wood with grooves routed in it.

First, of course, I have to remove some of the good remaining ceiling to determine how thick it is and, more importantly, what it is. It might be teak, or teak faced plywood or just plywood stained to mimic teak. As with most boat projects, they start with at least 1, usually 2 or more steps backward before any forward progress is made--at least that is how it usually works for me!

Now it would only warm up in coastal NC (highs lately barely get out of the high 40s), I can begin the backward steps by probably investing in an oscillating tool so I can remove some of the ceiling without destroying it (1st step backward!). I may try a Dremel tool first--I have one of those somewhere.

Then I can either make a similar piece myself (of course I would likely need a router then!) or take the wood to a local shop and have it routed (2nd step backward).

Thanks again for the listers who helped with the terminology. I will let the list know what the solution turns out to be.

Charlie Nelson
Water Phantom