Ron,  as part of Calypso’s way too long restoration project we have filled over
250 deck holes with different viscosities of epoxy.

In short we found most tapes to provide poor sealing of the hole allowing lower
viscosity epoxy to drip/ooze out.  Early on in our learning process I had lots
of epoxy in my hair.

-Use a thick (high viscosity) 5 minute epoxy to seal the bottom of the hole.
Works great but you will need to watch for bubbles forming in the hole.
-Use a wide packing tape on smooth surfaces.  Has worked well with epoxy made
thick with Cabosil and other fillers, both high and low density.  We used
ground glass fibers for holes that would not be used again.  For holes that
needed small repairs and sealing prior to being re-used we would pick a West
Systems low density filler like 407 or 410.  For particularly structural hole
repairs we cut round pieces of glass cloth to help fill the holes.
-use a small piece of mylar or similar “slippery” film and a quick drying
masking compound.  I got our mylar and masking compound from electrical
manufacturing sources back when I was involved with that industry.  If you are
interested I will look up the manufacturer of the masking compound.

For blind holes, thicken epoxy can be forced up with the same squeeze tube used
by cake decorators.  Get the thicker film type.  A quick hack is to use a
zip-lock bag and cut out the corner.

To avoid boring those listers not excited about mixing epoxy, let me know if
you want to dig deeper into the topic of the epoxy hole filling arts offline.

Martin DeYoung
Calypso
1971 C&C 43
Now Seattle
Soon Port Ludlow (after 2 months in the Port Townsend yard for paint)