For repairing Calypso’s plywood bulkheads I used a oscillating tool to “plunge
cut” at a angle (start of a scarf joint) far enough into the good wood to be
sure all the rot was removed.

I improved the scarf joint angle with sanding/grinding equipment. I made a
pattern from cheap plywood and cardboard the allowed me to test the fit and
adjust to allow for any interference in installation of the new piece.

I bonded in the new piece with an epoxy mix that included high density fillers
and milled glass. To hold alignment and climb the scarf joint tight I drilled
holes on both sides (left and right) of the scarf joint, used Mylar sheets to
prevent bonding my clamping boards to the repair then used bolts to drawn the
scarf joint tight.

When possible I added a doubler behind the bulkhead to reinforce the repair.
If that was not possible I added epoxy/glass cloth over the repair area.

I am fortunate that Calypso’s interior has always been finished “Herreshoff”
style, painted white with teak trim. (The white paint allows one to see
mosquitoes them smash the little bastards and clean up quickly.) It was easy
for me to fair out the repair and paint. (Part of my misspent youth included
doing auto body/fender work and painting.)

With a varnished bulkhead that you want to keep varnished adding a door skin or
1/4” teak vernier plywood skin over the part of the bulkhead that shows may
recover much of the original look.

Martin DeYoung
Calypso
1971 C&C 43
Seattle/Port Townsend’s yard

On May 26, 2021, at 8:34 PM, Andrew Walther via CnC-List