Agreed, we did this on Impromptu almost 7-8 years ago.
We drilled the hole a quarter inch below the floor of the bilge...FROM THE OUTSIDE!!!
I think the diameter of the threaded piece is 1", I took it to Home Depot and found a male adapter that fit....and pieced a 6" piece of PVC with a 45 degree angled end....
Bilge drains dry and no water running down the keel.
The drain unscrews out and the plug sits just under the hull surface.....we swipe it with a dollop of Bondo and bottom paint.
End of season, we just pick out the 1" circle of Bondo and screw the PVC drain back in.
An easy DYI project....
Ron Casciato
Impromptu
C&C 38 MKII..'77