Dave,

I think the size of the soft shackle (if you’re just using one) may be part
of the issue.  Soft shackles are made from high modulus fibers, usually
either Dyneema or Spectra (both UHMWPE) or some generic version of the same
material.  All of which are far stronger than your sheets thus allowing you
to downsize your soft shackle to something smaller than the sheet itself.
Conventional wisdom with regards to virtually anybody buying sheets or sheet
attachments is they want them large enough to handle easily and similarly,
the soft shackles are a bit easier to handle with gloves if they’re sized
appropriately large.  But they don’t need to be.  If you’re using a 7/16
genoa sheet, the largest that soft shackle needs to be regarding strength is
either 3/16” or ¼” diameter.  That alone should make it easier for the
shackle to pass by the shrouds.  On my boat, the issue becomes the sheet
hanging up on the turnbuckles of the shrouds.  I’ve solved that issue by
putting turnbuckle boots made of a chafe material over the offending
hardware and have no problems whatsoever.

Back to the soft shackles, you mentioned you use a single soft shackle to
hold both sheets.  I’ve been a fan of using 2 smaller soft shackles which
serves two purposes.  If I have a sheet issue (like a winch override, an
unfortunate wrap around something or the need to change a jib), its easier
to do so with individual shackles so you can simply change tacks and release
each sheet independently.  That also allows for slightly smaller shackles as
well.

Just my 2 cents..

Chuck Gilchrest

1983 Landfall 35